Saturday, August 27, 2011

School and Such

Everyone keeps asking me how I like Dallas, and what I do here for fun.  Fun? When am I supposed to do that? I have to say, I'm kind of tired of getting the same blank stare when I respond, "I haven't been out.  I go to school, come home, do homework and sleep." Honestly that is all I have time for. Luckily, I have a week break coming up. I'm suppose to take my Exit Practical for graduation (EEK!) that week, but I'm taking it a week early so I can go home on my break. Even though it consumes my whole life, I still completely love school and will actually be sad when it is over.

Blah, blah, blah

This week I made my very first stacked cake, and covered it in fondant (only my second time using the stuff). It turned out alright I thought.  Our kitchens are so dang humid and we don't have the proper amount of time to fully assemble a cake so our cakes tend to sweat a lot.  This is a problem when piping buttercream because it just slides down the side of the cake.  Also, we have a fairly large class, so you only get so much time with certain products, such as the airbrush machine.  Which is why my bow and border were different shades of orange.  Which most people haven't seemed to notice but it drives me insane.  All in all, I think it turned out pretty well for my first legit cake.  Next week is another stacked cake, then plated desserts, then a three tiered partner project, a two tier final and I do a two tier for my exit practical! Lots of cakes, yay!! 

See how the fondant is shiny, it isn't supposed to be.  It's all the condensation building up. Oh well!
 
As much as I HATE making bread, I have to say it makes me appreciate the finished product so much more.  In my opinion though, bread is bread is bread.  It's the exact same thing, just certain breads require certain ingredients.  It's like making a cake, but without all the fun decorating at the end. However, every time I cut into one of my breads I can appreciate how soft and airy it looks and the crunch of the nice crust. This week was my favorite week in Artisan Breads by far.  Even more so than the Pesto Sourdough.  It was gluten free week which meant lots of yummy whole grain breads. My favorites, even though I liked them all, were the Multigrain Extraordinaire and the Nine Grain.  Which after multiple taste-tastings I decided were practically the same bread but one was a "breakfast bread" that would making yummy toast with a nice fried egg and the other a good soft sandwich bread. The Extraordinaire would be the breakfast one, it was made with honey and brown sugar, and I actually had a piece of it this morning from the loaf I smuggled out of class last night. :)

 Multigrain Extraordinaire

Nine Grain


On another note, look at this fabulous mixer I found!! I mean sure, it's a regular Kitchen Aid, but look at it's fun retro color. First gift to myself, post graduation and post job obtainment! :)

That is all! Have a fabulous Sunday and last week of August, yippee!!


No comments:

Post a Comment