Tuesday, August 9, 2011

I've Got Questions, Who Has Answers?

Ok so. I found this site called, www.expatexchange.com where you can put in the country you are planning to move to and there are all these threads and posts from people doing the same thing or that have done the same thing.  Pretty nifty, eh? I thought so. However, I have come to the conclusion that Ireland most likely will not be permanent. From what I have gathered, rent is extra cheap and housing comes furnished so that is a major plus.  Actually, it is the only plus.  A driver's license is required after 3 months of residency, but is incredibly hard to obtain if you are not from an EU country.  You can only get a learners license and most insurance companies will not insure those, and if they do it is crazy expensive. Also, I have to get Monster micro-chipped, rabies shots, rabies tests, a passport, and he has to be quarantined for up to 6 months after the move. Also, there aren't really any grocery chains over there, everything (for the most part) is pretty independent and therefore, extra expensive.  There is no health insurance to be offered, although health care is cheap, it is out of pocket. The job market is basically dead.  If you don't have a corporate job lined up, which I don't, it's suggested to not even bother. Sad face.

So now I'm not sure what to do.  I am going to Ireland for sure, but maybe just for a teeny tiny vacation.  Perhaps a pit stop to my new permanent location? I have no idea where that will be though.  Any suggestions? Heavy research is in need here.

I am going to be in Italy next summer anyways for an 11 day cooking class and I'm planning to do some WWOOF trips surrounding that.  So, if I were closer to Italy that would be ideal as it would cut back my travel expenses.  However, New Zealand and Australia are fabulous as well.  Maybe.....

 Spain

 London

 Ireland

 Greece

 New Zealand

Tuscany/Italy

No comments:

Post a Comment