Friday, August 19, 2011

Oh. My. Yum.

I'm officially half way through my third quarter, woohoo!! This quarter is keeping me busy though.  If I'm not at school or doing something school related, I am sleeping.  I slept 13 hours today, and I could probably sleep some more if I had the time. But it's almost the weekend, as of 10:30pm and then I can sleep for 2 days straight. Haven't made anything too terribly fantastic in the last week but there were a few highlights.
 This was a German Wine from the "Old World" section in my Bev ID class.  It's a Riesling and I loved it! Which was pretty surprising because I don't really like white wines at all.  I have found some that I can tolerate, but I could sit down and drink this whole bottle haha. It is a dry, "fruit forward" wine.  So you get the fruity flavors without all the sweetness. Pretty dang good!


 This was my first attempt at fondant, and I wasn't very impressed with my skills.  Obviously I have time to get better, but I expect more from myself.  There are some cracks that you can't see but I promise they are there.  I also got to make gumpaste flowers (calla lillies) and that was fun.  I really like doing all that stuff.  We have convinced Chef Hunter to have a gumpaste flower day on a saturday in semptember so that will be a lot of fun! This cake was ok but kind of bland.  It is probably the last one I will bring home, because I'd rather make the cakes than eat them haha.


 Bread, however, is a different story.  I can't stop eating it! This was the bread I made this week and it was. so. good! It is a Rosemary Pesto Sourdough. I smuggled a big loaf of it home and I'm sure it will be gone by tomorrow.  This was super easy to make and turned out wonderful.  I will be making this again at home for sure!


This was just a marble rye bread that my friend Emily made.  It was very moist and airy but I think it needed a little more salt. If it was fixed, I think it'd be great when it's still hot with butter all over it!

Today we are making Pumpernickel, NY Deli Rye, Traditional Sourdough, and Sesame Semolina. I liked most of the breads from last night so hopefully tonight goes just as well!

In the next couple of weeks I have a lot of projects coming up, two wedding cakes and a dead dough sculpture! And I'm also redoing my restaurant which is now a bistro. Hopefully everything turns out well enough that I don't mind sharing more pictures! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment